Valid for Submission
H34.8120 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of central retinal vein occlusion, left eye, with macular edema. The code H34.8120 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code H34.8120 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like macular retinal edema due to occlusion of left central retinal vein.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Macular retinal edema due to occlusion of left central retinal vein
H348120 replaces the following previously assigned ICD-10 code(s):
Convert H34.8120 to ICD-9 Code
The General Equivalency Mapping (GEM) crosswalk indicates an approximate mapping between the ICD-10 code H34.8120 its ICD-9 equivalent. The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 code and the ICD-9 code and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.
Information for Patients
The retina is a layer of tissue in the back of your eye that senses light and sends images to your brain. In the center of this nerve tissue is the macula. It provides the sharp, central vision needed for reading, driving and seeing fine detail.
Retinal disorders affect this vital tissue. They can affect your vision, and some can be serious enough to cause blindness. Examples are
- Macular degeneration - a disease that destroys your sharp, central vision
- Diabetic eye disease
- Retinal detachment - a medical emergency, when the retina is pulled away from the back of the eye
- Retinoblastoma - cancer of the retina. It is most common in young children.
- Macular pucker - scar tissue on the macula
- Macular hole - a small break in the macula that usually happens to people over 60
- Floaters - cobwebs or specks in your field of vision
NIH: National Eye Institute
- Amaurosis fugax (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Central serous choroidopathy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Electroretinography (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Fluorescein angiography (Medical Encyclopedia)
- High blood pressure and eye disease (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Home vision tests (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intravitreal injection (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Retinal artery occlusion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Retinal vein occlusion (Medical Encyclopedia)
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]