Valid for Submission
H28 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of cataract in diseases classified elsewhere. The code is valid for the fiscal year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code H28 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like cataract due to idiopathic hypoparathyroidism, cataract due to pseudohypoparathyroidism, cataract in systemic disorders, hyperferritinemia cataract syndrome, polyneuropathy, hearing loss, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa, cataract syndrome, tetanic cataract, etc
|Short Description:||Cataract in diseases classified elsewhere|
|Long Description:||Cataract in diseases classified elsewhere|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code H28:
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- underlying disease, such as:
- hypoparathyroidism E20
- myotonia G71.1
- myxedema E03
- protein-calorie malnutrition E40 E46
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Manifestation diagnoses - Manifestation codes describe the manifestation of an underlying disease, not the disease itself, and therefore should not be used as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Cataract due to idiopathic hypoparathyroidism
- Cataract due to pseudohypoparathyroidism
- Cataract in systemic disorders
- Hyperferritinemia cataract syndrome
- Polyneuropathy, hearing loss, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa, cataract syndrome
- Tetanic cataract
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code H28 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V38.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2020 through 09/30/2021.
- 124 - OTHER DISORDERS OF THE EYE WITH MCC
- 125 - OTHER DISORDERS OF THE EYE WITHOUT MCC
Convert H28 to ICD-9
- 366.44 - Cataract w syndrome NEC (Approximate Flag)
Diseases of the eye and adnexa (H00–H59)
Disorders of lens (H25-H28)
Cataract in diseases classified elsewhere (H28)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021