Not Valid for Submission
R29 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of other symptoms and signs involving the nervous and musculoskeletal systems. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Specific Coding for Oth symptoms and signs involving the nervous and ms systems
Information for Patients
Neuromuscular disorders affect your neuromuscular system. They can cause problems with
- The nerves that control your muscles
- Your muscles
- Communication between your nerves and muscles
These disorders can cause your muscles to become weak and waste away. You may also have symptoms such as spasms, twitching, and pain.
Examples of neuromuscular disorders include
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Muscular dystrophy
- Myasthenia gravis
- Spinal muscular atrophy
There can be different causes for these diseases. Many of them are genetic.This means they are inherited (run in families) or are caused by a new mutation in your genes. Some neuromuscular disorders are autoimmune diseases. Sometimes the cause is not known.
Many neuromuscular diseases have no cure. But treatments may improve symptoms, increase mobility, and lengthen life.
- Apraxia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Hand or foot spasms (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle atrophy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle function loss (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Muscle twitching (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Myotonia congenita (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Spasticity (Medical Encyclopedia)