Diagnosis Code K56.49
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code K56.49 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V34.0)
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 560.30 - Impaction intestine NOS (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- 560.39 - Impaction intestine NEC
- Concretion of intestine
- Impaction of cecum
- Impaction of colon
- Impaction of intestine
Information for Patients
Also called: Bowel obstruction, Intestinal volvulus, Paralytic ileus
An intestinal obstruction occurs when food or stool cannot move through the intestines. The obstruction can be complete or partial. There are many causes. The most common are adhesions, hernias, cancers, and certain medicines.
- Severe abdominal pain or cramping
- Loud bowel sounds
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Inability to pass gas
A complete intestinal obstruction is a medical emergency. It often requires surgery.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Intestinal obstruction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal obstruction repair (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal or bowel obstruction - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intussusception - children (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Small bowel resection (Medical Encyclopedia)