H16.059 is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of mooren's corneal ulcer, unspecified eye. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like H16.059 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Mooren's ulcer
- Peripheral ulcerative keratitis
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|H16.059||370.07 - Mooren's ulcer|
|Approximate Flag - The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 and ICD-9 codes and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.|
Your cornea is the outermost layer of your eye. It is clear and shaped like a dome. The cornea helps to shield the rest of the eye from germs, dust, and other harmful matter. It also helps your eye to focus. If you wear contact lenses, they float on top of your corneas.
Problems with the cornea include:
- Refractive errors
- Dystrophies - conditions in which parts of the cornea lose clarity due to a buildup of cloudy material
Treatments of corneal disorders include medicines, corneal transplantation, and corneal laser surgery.
NIH: National Eye Institute
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016 (First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)