Valid for Submission
Z66 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of do not resuscitate. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z66 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like cardiopulmonary resuscitation discontinued due to do not resuscitate order or do not resuscitate status with supporting documentation or finding of resuscitation status or not for cardiopulmonary resuscitation or not for resuscitation.
The code Z66 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Do not resuscitate|
|Long Description:||Do not resuscitate|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z66:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z66 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation discontinued due to do not resuscitate order
- Do not resuscitate status with supporting documentation
- Finding of resuscitation status
- Not for cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Not for resuscitation
- RESUSCITATION ORDERS-. instructions issued by a physician pertaining to the institution continuation or withdrawal of life support measures. the concept includes policies laws statutes decisions guidelines and discussions that may affect the issuance of such orders.
Convert Z66 to ICD-9
- V49.86 - Do not resusctate status
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Do not resuscitate status (Z66)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020