Clinical Terms for Primary disorders of muscles (G71)
Muscular Dystrophies-. A heterogeneous group of inherited MYOPATHIES, characterized by wasting and weakness of the SKELETAL MUSCLE. They are categorized by the sites of MUSCLE WEAKNESS; AGE OF ONSET; and INHERITANCE PATTERNS.
Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne-. An X-linked recessive muscle disease caused by an inability to synthesize DYSTROPHIN, which is involved with maintaining the integrity of the sarcolemma. Muscle fibers undergo a process that features degeneration and regeneration. Clinical manifestations include proximal weakness in the first few years of life, pseudohypertrophy, cardiomyopathy (see MYOCARDIAL DISEASES), and an increased incidence of impaired mentation. Becker muscular dystrophy is a closely related condition featuring a later onset of disease (usually adolescence) and a slowly progressive course.
Muscular Dystrophy, Facioscapulohumeral-. An autosomal dominant degenerative muscle disease characterized by slowly progressive weakness of the muscles of the face, upper-arm, and shoulder girdle. The onset of symptoms usually occurs in the first or second decade of life. Affected individuals usually present with impairment of upper extremity elevation. This tends to be followed by facial weakness, primarily involving the orbicularis oris and orbicularis oculi muscles.
Myotonic Disorders-. Diseases characterized by MYOTONIA, which may be inherited or acquired. Myotonia may be restricted to certain muscles (e.g., intrinsic hand muscles) or occur as a generalized condition.
Myotonia-. Prolonged failure of muscle relaxation after contraction. This may occur after voluntary contractions, muscle percussion, or electrical stimulation of the muscle. Myotonia is a characteristic feature of MYOTONIC DISORDERS.
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- arthrogryposis multiplex congenita (Q74.3)
- metabolic disorders (E70-E88)
- myositis (M60.-)
Diseases of the nervous system (G00–G99)
Diseases of myoneural junction and muscle (G70-G73)
- G71 - Primary disorders of muscles NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G71.0 - Muscular dystrophy NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G71.00 - Muscular dystrophy, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G71.01 - Duchenne or Becker muscular dystrophy BILLABLE CODE
- G71.02 - Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy BILLABLE CODE
- G71.09 - Other specified muscular dystrophies BILLABLE CODE
- G71.1 - Myotonic disorders NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G71.11 - Myotonic muscular dystrophy BILLABLE CODE
- G71.12 - Myotonia congenita BILLABLE CODE
- G71.13 - Myotonic chondrodystrophy BILLABLE CODE
- G71.14 - Drug induced myotonia BILLABLE CODE
- G71.19 - Other specified myotonic disorders BILLABLE CODE
- G71.2 - Congenital myopathies BILLABLE CODE
- G71.3 - Mitochondrial myopathy, not elsewhere classified BILLABLE CODE
- G71.8 - Other primary disorders of muscles BILLABLE CODE
- G71.9 - Primary disorder of muscle, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Primary disorders of muscles (G71)