Not Valid for Submission
J04 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of acute laryngitis and tracheitis. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Acute laryngitis and tracheitis|
|Long Description:||Acute laryngitis and tracheitis|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
- J04.0 - Acute laryngitis
- J04.1 - Acute tracheitis
- J04.10 - Acute tracheitis without obstruction
- J04.11 - Acute tracheitis with obstruction
- J04.2 - Acute laryngotracheitis
- J04.3 - Supraglottitis, unspecified
- J04.30 - Supraglottitis, unspecified, without obstruction
- J04.31 - Supraglottitis, unspecified, with obstruction
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code J04:
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- acute obstructive laryngitis croup and epiglottitis J05
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- laryngismus stridulus J38.5
Diseases of the respiratory system (J00–J99)
Acute upper respiratory infections (J00-J06)
Acute laryngitis and tracheitis (J04)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020