Not Valid for Submission
X04 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of exposure to ignition of highly flammable material. The code is NOT valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
|Short Description:||Exposure to ignition of highly flammable material|
|Long Description:||Exposure to ignition of highly flammable material|
Consider the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity:
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code X04:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Exposure to ignition of gasoline
- Exposure to ignition of kerosene
- Exposure to ignition of petrol
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- exposure to ignition or melting of nightwear X05
- exposure to ignition or melting of other clothing and apparel X06
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code X04
7th Character 7th Character
Indicates that a seventh character is to be assigned to codes in a subcategory.
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
Index of External Cause of Injuries
References found for the code X04 in the External Cause of Injuries Index:
- fire, flames (accidental)
- ignition of highly flammable material
- from highly flammable material
- clothes, clothing NEC (from controlled fire)
- highly flammable material
- highly flammable with secondary explosion
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Exposure to smoke, fire and flames (X00-X08)
Exposure to ignition of highly flammable material (X04)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020