Clinical Terms for Sleep disorders not due to a substance or known physiol cond (F51)
Sleep Disorders, Intrinsic-. Dyssomnias (i.e., insomnias or hypersomnias) associated with dysfunction of internal sleep mechanisms or secondary to a sleep-related medical disorder (e.g., sleep apnea, post-traumatic sleep disorders, etc.).
Insomnia-. Disorders characterized by impairment of the ability to initiate or maintain sleep. This may occur as a primary disorder or in association with another medical or psychiatric condition.
Hypersomnia-. Disorders characterized by hypersomnolence during normal waking hours that may impair cognitive functioning. Subtypes include primary hypersomnia disorders (e.g., IDIOPATHIC HYPERSOMNOLENCE; NARCOLEPSY; and KLEINE-LEVIN SYNDROME) and secondary hypersomnia disorders where excessive somnolence can be attributed to a known cause (e.g., drug affect, MENTAL DISORDERS, and SLEEP APNEA SYNDROME).
Somnambulism-. A parasomnia characterized by a partial arousal that occurs during stage IV of non-REM sleep. Affected individuals exhibit semipurposeful behaviors such as ambulation and are difficult to fully awaken. Children are primarily affected, with a peak age range of 4-6 years.
Night Terrors-. A disorder characterized by incomplete arousals from sleep associated with behavior suggesting extreme fright. This condition primarily affects children and young adults and the individual generally has no recall of the event. Episodes tend to occur during stage III or IV. SOMNAMBULISM is frequently associated with this condition.
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- organic sleep disorders G47
Mental and behavioural disorders (F00–F99)
Behavioral syndromes associated with physiological disturbances and physical factors (F50-F59)
- F51 - Sleep disorders not due to a substance or known physiol cond NON-BILLABLE CODE
- F51.0 - Insomnia not due to a substance or known physiol condition NON-BILLABLE CODE
- F51.01 - Primary insomnia BILLABLE CODE
- F51.02 - Adjustment insomnia BILLABLE CODE
- F51.03 - Paradoxical insomnia BILLABLE CODE
- F51.04 - Psychophysiologic insomnia BILLABLE CODE
- F51.05 - Insomnia due to other mental disorder BILLABLE CODE
- F51.09 - Oth insomnia not due to a substance or known physiol cond BILLABLE CODE
- F51.1 - Hypersomnia not due to a substance or known physiol cond NON-BILLABLE CODE
- F51.11 - Primary hypersomnia BILLABLE CODE
- F51.12 - Insufficient sleep syndrome BILLABLE CODE
- F51.13 - Hypersomnia due to other mental disorder BILLABLE CODE
- F51.19 - Oth hypersomnia not due to a substance or known physiol cond BILLABLE CODE
- F51.3 - Sleepwalking [somnambulism] BILLABLE CODE
- F51.4 - Sleep terrors [night terrors] BILLABLE CODE
- F51.5 - Nightmare disorder BILLABLE CODE
- F51.8 - Oth sleep disord not due to a sub or known physiol cond BILLABLE CODE
- F51.9 - Sleep disorder not due to a sub or known physiol cond, unsp BILLABLE CODE
Sleep disorders not due to a substance or known physiol cond (F51)