Clinical Terms for Schizophrenia (F20)
Schizophrenia-. A severe emotional disorder of psychotic depth characteristically marked by a retreat from reality with delusion formation, HALLUCINATIONS, emotional disharmony, and regressive behavior.
Schizophrenia, Catatonic-. An obsolete concept, historically used for childhood mental disorders thought to be a form of schizophrenia. It was in earlier versions of DSM but is now included within the broad concept of PERVASIVE DEVELOPMENT DISORDERS.
Schizophrenia, Paranoid-. A chronic form of schizophrenia characterized primarily by the presence of persecutory or grandiose delusions, often associated with hallucination.
Schizophrenia, Disorganized-. A type of schizophrenia characterized by frequent incoherence; marked loosening of associations, or grossly disorganized behavior and flat or grossly inappropriate affect that does not meet the criteria for the catatonic type; associated features include extreme social withdrawal, grimacing, mannerisms, mirror gazing, inappropriate giggling, and other odd behavior.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- brief psychotic disorder F23
- cyclic schizophrenia F25.0
- mood [affective] disorders with psychotic symptoms F30.2 F31.2 F31.5 F31.64 F32.3 F33.3
- schizoaffective disorder F25
- schizophrenic reaction NOS F23
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- schizophrenic reaction in:
- alcoholism F10.15 F10.25 F10.95
- brain disease F06.2
- epilepsy F06.2
- psychoactive drug use F11 F19
- schizotypal disorder F21
Mental and behavioural disorders (F00–F99)
Schizophrenia, schizotypal, delusional, and other non-mood psychotic disorders (F20-F29)
- F20 - Schizophrenia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- F20.0 - Paranoid schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.1 - Disorganized schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.2 - Catatonic schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.3 - Undifferentiated schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.5 - Residual schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.8 - Other schizophrenia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- F20.81 - Schizophreniform disorder BILLABLE CODE
- F20.89 - Other schizophrenia BILLABLE CODE
- F20.9 - Schizophrenia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE