Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code X19
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Contact with heat and hot substances (X10-X19)
- X19 - Contact with other heat and hot substances NON-BILLABLE CODE
- X19.XXXA - Contact with other heat and hot substances, init encntr BILLABLE CODE
- X19.XXXD - Contact with other heat and hot substances, subs encntr BILLABLE CODE
- X19.XXXS - Contact with other heat and hot substances, sequela BILLABLE CODE
Contact with other heat and hot substances (X19)