Present on Admission Exempt ICD-10 Codes - Family history of mental and behavioral disorders (Z81)
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific ICD-10 diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.
- Z81.0 - Family history of intellectual disabilities
- Z81.1 - Family history of alcohol abuse and dependence
- Z81.2 - Family history of tobacco abuse and dependence
- Z81.3 - Family history of psychoactv substance abuse and dependence
- Z81.4 - Family history of other substance abuse and dependence
- Z81.8 - Family history of other mental and behavioral disorders