Clinical Terms for Sleep disorders (G47)
Insomnia-. Disorders characterized by impairment of the ability to initiate or maintain sleep. This may occur as a primary disorder or in association with another medical or psychiatric condition.
Hypersomnolence, Idiopathic-. A sleep disorder of central nervous system origin characterized by prolonged nocturnal sleep and periods of daytime drowsiness. Affected individuals experience difficulty with awakening in the morning and may have associated sleep drunkenness, automatic behaviors, and memory disturbances. This condition differs from narcolepsy in that daytime sleep periods are longer, there is no association with CATAPLEXY, and the multiple sleep latency onset test does not record sleep-onset rapid eye movement sleep.
Sleep Disorders, Circadian Rhythm-. Dyssomnias associated with disruption of the normal 24 hour sleep wake cycle secondary to travel (e.g., JET LAG SYNDROME), shift work, or other causes.
Sleep Apnea Syndromes-. Disorders characterized by multiple cessations of respirations during sleep that induce partial arousals and interfere with the maintenance of sleep. Sleep apnea syndromes are divided into central (see SLEEP APNEA, CENTRAL), obstructive (see SLEEP APNEA, OBSTRUCTIVE), and mixed central-obstructive types.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea-. A disorder characterized by recurrent apneas during sleep despite persistent respiratory efforts. It is due to upper airway obstruction. The respiratory pauses may induce HYPERCAPNIA or HYPOXIA. Cardiac arrhythmias and elevation of systemic and pulmonary arterial pressures may occur. Frequent partial arousals occur throughout sleep, resulting in relative SLEEP DEPRIVATION and daytime tiredness. Associated conditions include OBESITY; ACROMEGALY; MYXEDEMA; micrognathia; MYOTONIC DYSTROPHY; adenotonsilar dystrophy; and NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASES.
Narcolepsy-. A condition characterized by recurrent episodes of daytime somnolence and lapses in consciousness (microsomnias) that may be associated with automatic behaviors and AMNESIA. CATAPLEXY; SLEEP PARALYSIS, and hypnagogic HALLUCINATIONS frequently accompany narcolepsy. The pathophysiology of this disorder includes sleep-onset rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which normally follows stage III or IV sleep.
Parasomnias-. Movements or behaviors associated with sleep, sleep stages, or partial arousals from sleep that may impair sleep maintenance. Parasomnias are generally divided into four groups: arousal disorders, sleep-wake transition disorders, parasomnias of REM sleep, and nonspecific parasomnias.
Periodic Limb Movement Disorder-. Excessive periodic leg movements during sleep that cause micro-arousals and interfere with the maintenance of sleep. This condition induces a state of relative sleep deprivation which manifests as excessive daytime hypersomnolence. The movements are characterized by repetitive contractions of the tibialis anterior muscle, extension of the toe, and intermittent flexion of the hip, knee and ankle.
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
Diseases of the nervous system (G00–G99)
Episodic and paroxysmal disorders (G40-G47)
- G47 - Sleep disorders NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.0 - Insomnia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.00 - Insomnia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G47.01 - Insomnia due to medical condition BILLABLE CODE
- G47.09 - Other insomnia BILLABLE CODE
- G47.1 - Hypersomnia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.10 - Hypersomnia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G47.11 - Idiopathic hypersomnia with long sleep time BILLABLE CODE
- G47.12 - Idiopathic hypersomnia without long sleep time BILLABLE CODE
- G47.13 - Recurrent hypersomnia BILLABLE CODE
- G47.14 - Hypersomnia due to medical condition BILLABLE CODE
- G47.19 - Other hypersomnia BILLABLE CODE
- G47.2 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorders NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.20 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, unspecified type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.21 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, delayed sleep phase type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.22 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, advanced sleep phase type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.23 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, irregular sleep wake type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.24 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, free running type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.25 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, jet lag type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.26 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder, shift work type BILLABLE CODE
- G47.27 - Circadian rhythm sleep disorder in conditions classd elswhr BILLABLE CODE
- G47.29 - Other circadian rhythm sleep disorder BILLABLE CODE
- G47.3 - Sleep apnea NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.30 - Sleep apnea, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G47.31 - Primary central sleep apnea BILLABLE CODE
- G47.32 - High altitude periodic breathing BILLABLE CODE
- G47.33 - Obstructive sleep apnea (adult) (pediatric) BILLABLE CODE
- G47.34 - Idio sleep related nonobstructive alveolar hypoventilation BILLABLE CODE
- G47.35 - Congenital central alveolar hypoventilation syndrome BILLABLE CODE
- G47.36 - Sleep related hypoventilation in conditions classd elswhr BILLABLE CODE
- G47.37 - Central sleep apnea in conditions classified elsewhere BILLABLE CODE
- G47.39 - Other sleep apnea BILLABLE CODE
- G47.4 - Narcolepsy and cataplexy NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.41 - Narcolepsy NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.411 - Narcolepsy with cataplexy BILLABLE CODE
- G47.419 - Narcolepsy without cataplexy BILLABLE CODE
- G47.42 - Narcolepsy in conditions classified elsewhere NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.421 - Narcolepsy in conditions classified elsewhere with cataplexy BILLABLE CODE
- G47.429 - Narcolepsy in conditions classified elsewhere w/o cataplexy BILLABLE CODE
- G47.5 - Parasomnia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.50 - Parasomnia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G47.51 - Confusional arousals BILLABLE CODE
- G47.52 - REM sleep behavior disorder BILLABLE CODE
- G47.53 - Recurrent isolated sleep paralysis BILLABLE CODE
- G47.54 - Parasomnia in conditions classified elsewhere BILLABLE CODE
- G47.59 - Other parasomnia BILLABLE CODE
- G47.6 - Sleep related movement disorders NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G47.61 - Periodic limb movement disorder BILLABLE CODE
- G47.62 - Sleep related leg cramps BILLABLE CODE
- G47.63 - Sleep related bruxism BILLABLE CODE
- G47.69 - Other sleep related movement disorders BILLABLE CODE
- G47.8 - Other sleep disorders BILLABLE CODE
- G47.9 - Sleep disorder, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Sleep disorders (G47)