- ICD-10 Index
- Chapter: A00–B99
- Section: B00-B09
- Herpesviral [herpes simplex] infections (B00)
Clinical Terms for Herpesviral [herpes simplex] infections (B00)
Herpes Simplex-. A group of acute infections caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 or type 2 that is characterized by the development of one or more small fluid-filled vesicles with a raised erythematous base on the skin or mucous membrane. It occurs as a primary infection or recurs due to a reactivation of a latent infection.
Kaposi Varicelliform Eruption-. A disseminated vesicular-pustular eruption caused by the herpes simplex virus (HERPESVIRUS HOMINIS), the VACCINIA VIRUS, or Varicella zoster (HERPESVIRUS 3, HUMAN). It is usually superimposed on a preexisting, inactive or active, atopic dermatitis (DERMATITIS, ATOPIC).
Keratitis, Herpetic-. A superficial, epithelial Herpesvirus hominis infection of the cornea, characterized by the presence of small vesicles which may break down and coalesce to form dendritic ulcers (KERATITIS, DENDRITIC).
Encephalitis, Herpes Simplex-. An acute (or rarely chronic) inflammatory process of the brain caused by SIMPLEXVIRUS infections which may be fatal. The majority of infections are caused by human herpesvirus 1 (HERPESVIRUS 1, HUMAN) and less often by human herpesvirus 2 (HERPESVIRUS 2, HUMAN). Clinical manifestations include FEVER; HEADACHE; SEIZURES; HALLUCINATIONS; behavioral alterations; APHASIA; hemiparesis; and COMA. Pathologically, the condition is marked by a hemorrhagic necrosis involving the medial and inferior TEMPORAL LOBE and orbital regions of the FRONTAL LOBE.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- congenital herpesviral infections P35.2
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Viral infections characterized by skin and mucous membrane lesions (B00-B09)
- B00 - Herpesviral [herpes simplex] infections NON-BILLABLE CODE
- B00.0 - Eczema herpeticum BILLABLE CODE
- B00.1 - Herpesviral vesicular dermatitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.2 - Herpesviral gingivostomatitis and pharyngotonsillitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.3 - Herpesviral meningitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.4 - Herpesviral encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.5 - Herpesviral ocular disease NON-BILLABLE CODE
- B00.50 - Herpesviral ocular disease, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- B00.51 - Herpesviral iridocyclitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.52 - Herpesviral keratitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.53 - Herpesviral conjunctivitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.59 - Other herpesviral disease of eye BILLABLE CODE
- B00.7 - Disseminated herpesviral disease BILLABLE CODE
- B00.8 - Other forms of herpesviral infections NON-BILLABLE CODE
- B00.81 - Herpesviral hepatitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.82 - Herpes simplex myelitis BILLABLE CODE
- B00.89 - Other herpesviral infection BILLABLE CODE
- B00.9 - Herpesviral infection, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Herpesviral [herpes simplex] infections (B00)