This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- Encounter for placental sample (taken vaginally)
- Screening is the testing for disease or disease precursors in asymptomatic individuals so that early detection and treatment can be provided for those who test positive for the disease.
Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- diagnostic examination- code to sign or symptom
- encounter for suspected maternal and fetal conditions ruled out Z03.7
- suspected fetal condition affecting management of pregnancy - code to condition in Chapter 15
Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.