Diagnosis Code Z98.1
Information for Medical Professionals
The following edits are applicable to this code:
Unacceptable principal diagnosis Unacceptable principal diagnosis
There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- V45.4 - Arthrodesis status (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
Present on Admission (POA) Present on Admission
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.
The code Z98.1 is exempt from POA reporting.
- History of arthrodesis
- History of arthrodesis of ankle
- History of arthrodesis of interphalangeal joint of toe
- History of cervical spine fusion
- History of fusion of thoracic spine
- History of fusion of thoracolumbar spine
- History of lumbar fusion
- History of operative procedure on lumbar spinal structure
- History of operative procedure on thoracic spinal structure
- History of spinal fusion
- History of spinal fusion for kyphosis
- History of spinal fusion for scoliosis
- History of surgical procedure on cervical spine