Diagnosis Code Z77.21
Information for Medical Professionals
The following edits are applicable to this code:
Unacceptable principal diagnosis Unacceptable principal diagnosis
There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- V15.89 - Hx-health hazards NEC (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Exposure to blood and/or body fluid
- History of exposure to hazardous bodily fluids
- Seminal fluid-induced anaphylaxis
Information for Patients
Every year, lives are lost because of the spread of infections in hospitals. Health care workers can take steps to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. These steps are part of infection control.
Proper hand washing is the most effective way to prevent the spread of infections in hospitals. If you are a patient, don't be afraid to remind friends, family and health care providers to wash their hands before getting close to you.
Other steps health care workers can take include
- Covering coughs and sneezes
- Staying up-to-date with immunizations
- Using gloves, masks and protective clothing
- Making tissues and hand cleaners available
- Following hospital guidelines when dealing with blood or contaminated items
- After an exposure to sharps or body fluids (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bloodborne pathogens (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Central line infections - hospitals (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cleaning supplies and equipment (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cleaning to prevent the spread of germs (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Isolation precautions (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Personal protective equipment (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Preventing infections when visiting (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Staph infections - hospital (Medical Encyclopedia)