Diagnosis Code W34.1
Information for Patients
Many U.S. households have guns, but they can cause harm if not handled properly. Here are some things you can do to keep yourself and your family safe:
- Teach children that they shouldn't touch guns and that if they see a gun, to leave it alone and tell an adult.
- If your children play at another home, talk to the parents about gun safety.
- Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
- Always store guns unloaded.
- Lock guns in a rack or safe, and hide the keys or combination.
- Store ammunition away from guns and keep it locked.
- Don't keep guns in your home if someone in your family has a mental illness, severe depression, or potential for violence.