Diagnosis Code S65.50
Information for Patients
Finger Injuries and Disorders
You use your fingers and thumbs to do everything from grasping objects to playing musical instruments to typing. When there is something wrong with them, it can make life difficult. Common problems include
- Injuries that result in fractures, ruptured ligaments and dislocations
- Osteoarthritis - wear-and-tear arthritis. It can also cause deformity.
- Tendinitis - irritation of the tendons
- Dupuytren's contracture - a hereditary thickening of the tough tissue that lies just below the skin of your palm. It causes the fingers to stiffen and bend.
- Trigger finger - an irritation of the sheath that surrounds the flexor tendons. It can cause the tendon to catch and release like a trigger.
- Claw hand (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Clubbing of the fingers or toes (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Finger pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Mallet finger - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Polydactyly (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Smashed fingers (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Trigger finger (Medical Encyclopedia)
The vascular system is the body's network of blood vessels. It includes the arteries, veins and capillaries that carry blood to and from the heart. Problems of the vascular system are common and can be serious. Arteries can become thick and stiff, a problem called atherosclerosis. Blood clots can clog vessels and block blood flow to the heart or brain. Weakened blood vessels can burst, causing bleeding inside the body.
You are more likely to have vascular disease as you get older. Other factors that make vascular disease more likely include
- Family history of vascular or heart diseases
- Illness or injury
- Long periods of sitting or standing still
- Any condition that affects the heart and blood vessels, such as diabetes or high cholesterol
Losing weight, eating healthy foods, being active and not smoking can help vascular disease. Other treatments include medicines and surgery.
- Aortic arch syndrome (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Arterial embolism (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Arteriogram (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Cerebral angiography (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Duplex ultrasound (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Venous insufficiency (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Venous ulcers -- self-care (Medical Encyclopedia)