Diagnosis Code S27
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code S27 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- 7th Characters: 7th Characters
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from category S27
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- injury of cervical esophagus (S10-S19)
- injury of trachea (cervical) (S10-S19)
- Code Also: "Code also note"
A "code also" note instructs that two codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but this note does not provide sequencing direction.
- any associated open wound of thorax (S21.-)
Information for Patients
Chest Injuries and Disorders
The chest is the part of the body between your neck and your abdomen. It includes the ribs and breastbone. Inside your chest are several organs, including the heart, lungs, and esophagus. The pleura, a large thin sheet of tissue, lines the inside of the chest cavity.
Chest injuries and disorders include
- Heart diseases
- Lung diseases and collapsed lung
- Pleural disorders
- Esophagus disorders
- Broken ribs
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms
- Disorders of the mediastinum, the space between the lungs, breastbone, and spine
- Chest tube insertion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Costochondritis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Mediastinal tumor (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Pectus excavatum (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Rib fracture - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)