Diagnosis Code M25.16
Information for Patients
A fistula is an abnormal connection between two parts inside of the body. Fistulas may develop between different organs, such as between the esophagus and the windpipe or the bowel and the vagina. They can also develop between two blood vessels, such as between an artery and a vein or between two arteries.
Some people are born with a fistula. Other common causes of fistulas include
- Complications from surgery
- Diseases, such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
Treatment depends on the cause of the fistula, where it is, and how bad it is. Some fistulas will close on their own. In some cases, you may need antibiotics and/or surgery.
- Fistula (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Gastrointestinal fistula (Medical Encyclopedia)
Knee Injuries and Disorders
Your knee joint is made up of bone, cartilage, ligaments and fluid. Muscles and tendons help the knee joint move. When any of these structures is hurt or diseased, you have knee problems. Knee problems can cause pain and difficulty walking.
Knee problems are very common, and they occur in people of all ages. Knee problems can interfere with many things, from participation in sports to simply getting up from a chair and walking. This can have a big impact on your life.
The most common disease affecting the knee is osteoarthritis. The cartilage in the knee gradually wears away, causing pain and swelling.
Injuries to ligaments and tendons also cause knee problems. A common injury is to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). You usually injure your ACL by a sudden twisting motion. ACL and other knee injuries are common sports injuries.
Treatment of knee problems depends on the cause. In some cases your doctor may recommend knee replacement.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
- ACL reconstruction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Anterior crucate ligament (ACL) injury (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury -- aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Anterior knee pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Baker cyst (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Broken kneecap - aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Collateral ligament (CL) injury -- aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Getting your home ready - knee or hip surgery (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Knee arthroscopy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Knee MRI scan (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Knee pain (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Meniscus tears -- aftercare (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Osgood-Schlatter disease (Medical Encyclopedia)