Diagnosis Code K56.6
Information for Patients
Also called: Bowel obstruction, Intestinal volvulus, Paralytic ileus
An intestinal obstruction occurs when food or stool cannot move through the intestines. The obstruction can be complete or partial. There are many causes. The most common are adhesions, hernias, cancers, and certain medicines.
- Severe abdominal pain or cramping
- Loud bowel sounds
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Inability to pass gas
A complete intestinal obstruction is a medical emergency. It often requires surgery.
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Intestinal obstruction (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal obstruction repair (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intestinal or bowel obstruction - discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Intussusception - children (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Small bowel resection (Medical Encyclopedia)