Diagnosis Code K31
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code K31 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Includes Notes: Includes Notes
This note appears immediately under a three character code title to further define, or give examples of, the content of the category.
- functional disorders of stomach
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- diabetic gastroparesis (E08.43, E09.43, E10.43, E11.43, E13.43)
- diverticulum of duodenum (K57.00-K57.13)
Information for Patients
Also called: Gastric disorders
Your stomach is an organ between your esophagus and small intestine. It is where digestion of protein begins. The stomach has three tasks. It stores swallowed food. It mixes the food with stomach acids. Then it sends the mixture on to the small intestine.
Most people have a problem with their stomach at one time or another. Indigestion and heartburn are common problems. You can relieve some stomach problems with over-the-counter medicines and lifestyle changes, such as avoiding fatty foods or eating more slowly. Other problems like peptic ulcers or GERD require medical attention.
You should see a doctor if you have any of the following:
- Blood when you have a bowel movement
- Severe abdominal pain
- Heartburn not relieved by antacids
- Unintended weight loss
- Ongoing vomiting or diarrhea
NIH: National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Bezoar (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Dumping Syndrome - NIH (National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases)
- EGD discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Gastrectomy (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Gastritis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Gastroparesis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Pyloric stenosis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Stomach acid test (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Upper GI and small bowel series (Medical Encyclopedia)