Diagnosis Code K08.23
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 525.23 - Atrophy mandible-severe
Index of Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code K08.23 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Inclusion Terms: Inclusion terms
List of terms is included under some codes. These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Severe atrophy of the edentulous mandible
Information for Patients
Jaw Injuries and Disorders
Your jaw is a set of bones that holds your teeth. It consists of two main parts. The upper part is the maxilla. It doesn't move. The moveable lower part is called the mandible. You move it when you talk or chew. The two halves of the mandible meet at your chin. The joint where the mandible meets your skull is the temporomandibular joint.
Jaw problems include
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Osteonecrosis, which happens when your bones lose their blood supply
Treatment of jaw problems depends on the cause.
- Jaw - broken or dislocated (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Malocclusion of teeth (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Micrognathia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Prognathism (Medical Encyclopedia)