Clinical Terms for Paraplegia (paraparesis) and quadriplegia (quadriparesis) (G82)
Paraplegia-. Severe or complete loss of motor function in the lower extremities and lower portions of the trunk. This condition is most often associated with SPINAL CORD DISEASES, although BRAIN DISEASES; PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DISEASES; NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASES; and MUSCULAR DISEASES may also cause bilateral leg weakness.
Quadriplegia-. Severe or complete loss of motor function in all four limbs which may result from BRAIN DISEASES; SPINAL CORD DISEASES; PERIPHERAL NERVOUS SYSTEM DISEASES; NEUROMUSCULAR DISEASES; or rarely MUSCULAR DISEASES. The locked-in syndrome is characterized by quadriplegia in combination with cranial muscle paralysis. Consciousness is spared and the only retained voluntary motor activity may be limited eye movements. This condition is usually caused by a lesion in the upper BRAIN STEM which injures the descending cortico-spinal and cortico-bulbar tracts.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- This category is to be used only when the listed conditions are reported without further specification, or are stated to be old or longstanding but of unspecified cause. The category is also for use in multiple coding to identify these conditions resulting from any cause
Diseases of the nervous system (G00–G99)
Cerebral palsy and other paralytic syndromes (G80-G83)
- G82 - Paraplegia (paraparesis) and quadriplegia (quadriparesis) NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G82.2 - Paraplegia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G82.20 - Paraplegia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G82.21 - Paraplegia, complete BILLABLE CODE
- G82.22 - Paraplegia, incomplete BILLABLE CODE
- G82.5 - Quadriplegia NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G82.50 - Quadriplegia, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G82.51 - Quadriplegia, C1-C4 complete BILLABLE CODE
- G82.52 - Quadriplegia, C1-C4 incomplete BILLABLE CODE
- G82.53 - Quadriplegia, C5-C7 complete BILLABLE CODE
- G82.54 - Quadriplegia, C5-C7 incomplete BILLABLE CODE
Paraplegia (paraparesis) and quadriplegia (quadriparesis) (G82)