Clinical Terms for Overweight and obesity (E66)
Overweight-. A status with BODY WEIGHT that is above certain standard of acceptable or desirable weight. In the scale of BODY MASS INDEX, overweight is defined as having a BMI of 25.0-29.9 kg/m2. Overweight may or may not be due to increases in body fat (ADIPOSE TISSUE), hence overweight does not equal "over fat".
Obesity-. A status with BODY WEIGHT that is grossly above the acceptable or desirable weight, usually due to accumulation of excess FATS in the body. The standards may vary with age, sex, genetic or cultural background. In the BODY MASS INDEX, a BMI greater than 30.0 kg/m2 is considered obese, and a BMI greater than 40.0 kg/m2 is considered morbidly obese (MORBID OBESITY).
Morbid Obesity-. The condition of weighing two, three, or more times the ideal weight, so called because it is associated with many serious and life-threatening disorders. In the BODY MASS INDEX, morbid obesity is defined as having a BMI greater than 40.0 kg/m2.
Code First Code First
Certain conditions have both an underlying etiology and multiple body system manifestations due to the underlying etiology. For such conditions, the ICD-10-CM has a coding convention that requires the underlying condition be sequenced first followed by the manifestation. Wherever such a combination exists, there is a "use additional code" note at the etiology code, and a "code first" note at the manifestation code. These instructional notes indicate the proper sequencing order of the codes, etiology followed by manifestation.
- obesity complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium, if applicable O99.21
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code to identify body mass index BMI, if known Z68
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- adiposogenital dystrophy E23.6
- lipomatosis NOS E88.2
- lipomatosis dolorosa [Dercum] E88.2
- Prader-Willi syndrome Q87.11
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00–E90)
Overweight, obesity and other hyperalimentation (E65-E68)
- E66 - Overweight and obesity NON-BILLABLE CODE
- E66.0 - Obesity due to excess calories NON-BILLABLE CODE
- E66.01 - Morbid (severe) obesity due to excess calories BILLABLE CODE
- E66.09 - Other obesity due to excess calories BILLABLE CODE
- E66.1 - Drug-induced obesity BILLABLE CODE
- E66.2 - Morbid (severe) obesity with alveolar hypoventilation BILLABLE CODE
- E66.3 - Overweight BILLABLE CODE
- E66.8 - Other obesity BILLABLE CODE
- E66.9 - Obesity, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Overweight and obesity (E66)