Clinical Terms for Other disorders of fluid, electrolyte and acid-base balance (E87)
Hypernatremia-. Excessive amount of sodium in the blood.
Hyponatremia-. Deficiency of sodium in the blood; salt depletion.
Acidosis-. A pathologic condition of acid accumulation or depletion of base in the body. The two main types are RESPIRATORY ACIDOSIS and metabolic acidosis, due to metabolic acid build up.
Alkalosis-. A pathological condition that removes acid or adds base to the body fluids.
Hyperkalemia-. Abnormally high potassium concentration in the blood, most often due to defective renal excretion. It is characterized clinically by electrocardiographic abnormalities (elevated T waves and depressed P waves, and eventually by atrial asystole). In severe cases, weakness and flaccid paralysis may occur.
Hypokalemia-. Abnormally low potassium concentration in the blood. It may result from potassium loss by renal secretion or by the gastrointestinal route, as by vomiting or diarrhea. It may be manifested clinically by neuromuscular disorders ranging from weakness to paralysis, by electrocardiographic abnormalities (depression of the T wave and elevation of the U wave), by renal disease, and by gastrointestinal disorders.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- diabetes insipidus E23.2
- electrolyte imbalance associated with hyperemesis gravidarum O21.1
- electrolyte imbalance following ectopic or molar pregnancy O08.5
- familial periodic paralysis G72.3
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00–E90)
Metabolic disorders (E70-E88)
- E87 - Other disorders of fluid, electrolyte and acid-base balance NON-BILLABLE CODE
- E87.0 - Hyperosmolality and hypernatremia BILLABLE CODE
- E87.1 - Hypo-osmolality and hyponatremia BILLABLE CODE
- E87.2 - Acidosis BILLABLE CODE
- E87.3 - Alkalosis BILLABLE CODE
- E87.4 - Mixed disorder of acid-base balance BILLABLE CODE
- E87.5 - Hyperkalemia BILLABLE CODE
- E87.6 - Hypokalemia BILLABLE CODE
- E87.7 - Fluid overload NON-BILLABLE CODE
- E87.70 - Fluid overload, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- E87.71 - Transfusion associated circulatory overload BILLABLE CODE
- E87.79 - Other fluid overload BILLABLE CODE
- E87.8 - Oth disorders of electrolyte and fluid balance, NEC BILLABLE CODE
Other disorders of fluid, electrolyte and acid-base balance (E87)