- ICD-10 Index
- Chapter: A00–B99
- Section: A80-A89
- Mosquito-borne viral encephalitis (A83)
Clinical Terms for Mosquito-borne viral encephalitis (A83)
Encephalitis-. Inflammation of the BRAIN due to infection, autoimmune processes, toxins, and other conditions. Viral infections (see ENCEPHALITIS, VIRAL) are a relatively frequent cause of this condition.
Encephalitis, Arbovirus-. Infections of the brain caused by arthropod-borne viruses (i.e., arboviruses) primarily from the families TOGAVIRIDAE; FLAVIVIRIDAE; BUNYAVIRIDAE; REOVIRIDAE; and RHABDOVIRIDAE. Life cycles of these viruses are characterized by ZOONOSES, with birds and lower mammals serving as intermediate hosts. The virus is transmitted to humans by the bite of mosquitoes (CULICIDAE) or TICKS. Clinical manifestations include fever, headache, alterations of mentation, focal neurologic deficits, and COMA.
Encephalitis, St. Louis-. A viral encephalitis caused by the St. Louis encephalitis virus (ENCEPHALITIS VIRUS, ST. LOUIS), a FLAVIVIRUS. It is transmitted to humans and other vertebrates primarily by mosquitoes of the genus CULEX. The primary animal vectors are wild birds and the disorder is endemic to the midwestern and southeastern United States. Infections may be limited to an influenza-like illness or present as an ASEPTIC MENINGITIS or ENCEPHALITIS. Clinical manifestations of the encephalitic presentation may include SEIZURES, lethargy, MYOCLONUS, focal neurologic signs, COMA, and DEATH.
Meningoencephalitis-. An inflammatory process involving the brain (ENCEPHALITIS) and meninges (MENINGITIS), most often produced by pathogenic organisms which invade the central nervous system, and occasionally by toxins, autoimmune disorders, and other conditions.
- mosquito-borne viral meningoencephalitis
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Viral and prion infections of the central nervous system (A80-A89)
- A83 - Mosquito-borne viral encephalitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- A83.0 - Japanese encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.1 - Western equine encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.2 - Eastern equine encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.3 - St Louis encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.4 - Australian encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.5 - California encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.6 - Rocio virus disease BILLABLE CODE
- A83.8 - Other mosquito-borne viral encephalitis BILLABLE CODE
- A83.9 - Mosquito-borne viral encephalitis, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Mosquito-borne viral encephalitis (A83)