Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Discharge of gun for single hand use, undetermined intent
- Discharge of pistol, undetermined intent
- Discharge of revolver, undetermined intent
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- very pistol Y24.8
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code Y22
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Event of undetermined intent (Y21-Y33)
- Y22 - Handgun discharge, undetermined intent NON-BILLABLE CODE
- Y22.XXXA - Handgun discharge, undetermined intent, initial encounter BILLABLE CODE
- Y22.XXXD - Handgun discharge, undetermined intent, subsequent encounter BILLABLE CODE
- Y22.XXXS - Handgun discharge, undetermined intent, sequela BILLABLE CODE
Handgun discharge, undetermined intent (Y22)