Clinical Terms for Facial nerve disorders (G51)
Facial Nerve Diseases-. Diseases of the facial nerve or nuclei. Pontine disorders may affect the facial nuclei or nerve fascicle. The nerve may be involved intracranially, along its course through the petrous portion of the temporal bone, or along its extracranial course. Clinical manifestations include facial muscle weakness, loss of taste from the anterior tongue, hyperacusis, and decreased lacrimation.
Bell Palsy-. A syndrome characterized by the acute onset of unilateral FACIAL PARALYSIS which progresses over a 2-5 day period. Weakness of the orbicularis oculi muscle and resulting incomplete eye closure may be associated with corneal injury. Pain behind the ear often precedes the onset of paralysis. This condition may be associated with HERPESVIRUS 1, HUMAN infection of the facial nerve.
Melkersson-Rosenthal Syndrome-. An idiopathic syndrome characterized by one or more of the following; recurrent orofacial swelling, relapsing facial paralysis, and fissured tongue (lingua plicata). The onset is usually in childhood and relapses are common. Cheilitis granulomatosa is a monosymptomatic variant of this condition.
Hemifacial Spasm-. Recurrent clonic contraction of facial muscles, restricted to one side. It may occur as a manifestation of compressive lesions involving the seventh cranial nerve (FACIAL NERVE DISEASES), during recovery from BELL PALSY, or in association with other disorders.
Facial Nerve-. The 7th cranial nerve. The facial nerve has two parts, the larger motor root which may be called the facial nerve proper, and the smaller intermediate or sensory root. Together they provide efferent innervation to the muscles of facial expression and to the lacrimal and SALIVARY GLANDS, and convey afferent information for TASTE from the anterior two-thirds of the TONGUE and for TOUCH from the EXTERNAL EAR.
- disorders of 7th cranial nerve
Diseases of the nervous system (G00–G99)
Nerve, nerve root and plexus disorders (G50-G59)
- G51 - Facial nerve disorders NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G51.0 - Bell's palsy BILLABLE CODE
- G51.1 - Geniculate ganglionitis BILLABLE CODE
- G51.2 - Melkersson's syndrome BILLABLE CODE
- G51.3 - Clonic hemifacial spasm NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G51.31 - Clonic hemifacial spasm, right BILLABLE CODE
- G51.32 - Clonic hemifacial spasm, left BILLABLE CODE
- G51.33 - Clonic hemifacial spasm, bilateral BILLABLE CODE
- G51.39 - Clonic hemifacial spasm, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G51.4 - Facial myokymia BILLABLE CODE
- G51.8 - Other disorders of facial nerve BILLABLE CODE
- G51.9 - Disorder of facial nerve, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Facial nerve disorders (G51)