Clinical Terms for Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis (G04)
Encephalitis-. Inflammation of the BRAIN due to infection, autoimmune processes, toxins, and other conditions. Viral infections (see ENCEPHALITIS, VIRAL) are a relatively frequent cause of this condition.
Myelitis-. Inflammation of the spinal cord. Relatively common etiologies include infections; AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES; SPINAL CORD; and ischemia (see also SPINAL CORD VASCULAR DISEASES). Clinical features generally include weakness, sensory loss, localized pain, incontinence, and other signs of autonomic dysfunction.
Encephalomyelitis-. A general term indicating inflammation of the BRAIN and SPINAL CORD, often used to indicate an infectious process, but also applicable to a variety of autoimmune and toxic-metabolic conditions. There is significant overlap regarding the usage of this term and ENCEPHALITIS in the literature.
- acute ascending myelitis
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- encephalopathy NOS G93.40
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- acute transverse myelitis G37.3
- alcoholic encephalopathy G31.2
- benign myalgic encephalomyelitis G93.3
- multiple sclerosis G35
- subacute necrotizing myelitis G37.4
- toxic encephalitis G92.8
- toxic encephalopathy G92.8
Diseases of the nervous system (G00–G99)
Inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system (G00-G09)
- G04 - Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G04.0 - Acute disseminated encephalitis and encephalomyelitis (ADEM) NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G04.00 - Acute disseminated encephalitis and encephalomyelitis, unsp BILLABLE CODE
- G04.01 - Postinfect acute dissem encephalitis and encephalomyelitis BILLABLE CODE
- G04.02 - Postimmun ac dissem encphlts, myelitis and encephalomyelitis BILLABLE CODE
- G04.1 - Tropical spastic paraplegia BILLABLE CODE
- G04.2 - Bacterial meningoencephalitis and meningomyelitis, NEC BILLABLE CODE
- G04.3 - Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G04.30 - Acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G04.31 - Postinfectious acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy BILLABLE CODE
- G04.32 - Postimmun acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy BILLABLE CODE
- G04.39 - Other acute necrotizing hemorrhagic encephalopathy BILLABLE CODE
- G04.8 - Other encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G04.81 - Other encephalitis and encephalomyelitis BILLABLE CODE
- G04.82 - Acute flaccid myelitis BILLABLE CODE NEW CODE
- G04.89 - Other myelitis BILLABLE CODE
- G04.9 - Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis, unspecified NON-BILLABLE CODE
- G04.90 - Encephalitis and encephalomyelitis, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- G04.91 - Myelitis, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Encephalitis, myelitis and encephalomyelitis (G04)