Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
- code to identify:
- exposure to environmental tobacco smoke Z77.22
- history of tobacco dependence Z87.891
- occupational exposure to environmental tobacco smoke Z57.31
- tobacco dependence F17
- tobacco use Z72.0
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- compensatory emphysema J98.3
- emphysema due to inhalation of chemicals, gases, fumes or vapors J68.4
- emphysema with chronic obstructive bronchitis J44
- emphysematous obstructive bronchitis J44
- interstitial emphysema J98.2
- mediastinal emphysema J98.2
- neonatal interstitial emphysema P25.0
- surgical subcutaneous emphysema T81.82
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- traumatic subcutaneous emphysema T79.7
Diseases of the respiratory system (J00–J99)
Chronic lower respiratory diseases (J40-J47)