Clinical Terms for Deficiency of other nutrient elements (E61)
Anemia, Iron-Deficiency-. Anemia characterized by decreased or absent iron stores, low serum iron concentration, low transferrin saturation, and low hemoglobin concentration or hematocrit value. The erythrocytes are hypochromic and microcytic and the iron binding capacity is increased.
Magnesium Deficiency-. A nutritional condition produced by a deficiency of magnesium in the diet, characterized by anorexia, nausea, vomiting, lethargy, and weakness. Symptoms are paresthesias, muscle cramps, irritability, decreased attention span, and mental confusion, possibly requiring months to appear. Deficiency of body magnesium can exist even when serum values are normal. In addition, magnesium deficiency may be organ-selective, since certain tissues become deficient before others.
Manganese-. A trace element with atomic symbol Mn, atomic number 25, and atomic weight 54.94. It is concentrated in cell mitochondria, mostly in the pituitary gland, liver, pancreas, kidney, and bone, influences the synthesis of mucopolysaccharides, stimulates hepatic synthesis of cholesterol and fatty acids, and is a cofactor in many enzymes, including arginase and alkaline phosphatase in the liver.
Chromium-. A trace element that plays a role in glucose metabolism. It has the atomic symbol Cr, atomic number 24, and atomic weight 52. According to the Fourth Annual Report on Carcinogens, chromium and some of its compounds have been listed as known carcinogens.
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- disorders of mineral metabolism E83
- iodine deficiency related thyroid disorders E00 E02
- sequelae of malnutrition and other nutritional deficiencies E64
Endocrine, nutritional and metabolic diseases (E00–E90)
Other nutritional deficiencies (E50-E64)
- E61 - Deficiency of other nutrient elements NON-BILLABLE CODE
- E61.0 - Copper deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.1 - Iron deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.2 - Magnesium deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.3 - Manganese deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.4 - Chromium deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.5 - Molybdenum deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.6 - Vanadium deficiency BILLABLE CODE
- E61.7 - Deficiency of multiple nutrient elements BILLABLE CODE
- E61.8 - Deficiency of other specified nutrient elements BILLABLE CODE
- E61.9 - Deficiency of nutrient element, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Deficiency of other nutrient elements (E61)