Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Contact with water heated on stove
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- hot liquid metals X18
7th Character Note 7th Character Note
Certain ICD-10-CM categories have applicable 7th characters. The applicable 7th character is required for all codes within the category, or as the notes in the Tabular List instruct. The 7th character must always be the 7th character in the data field. If a code that requires a 7th character is not 6 characters, a placeholder X must be used to fill in the empty characters.
- The appropriate 7th character is to be added to code X12
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
External causes of morbidity and mortality (V01–Y98)
Contact with heat and hot substances (X10-X19)
- X12 - Contact with other hot fluids NON-BILLABLE CODE
- X12.XXXA - Contact with other hot fluids, initial encounter BILLABLE CODE
- X12.XXXD - Contact with other hot fluids, subsequent encounter BILLABLE CODE
- X12.XXXS - Contact with other hot fluids, sequela BILLABLE CODE
Contact with other hot fluids (X12)