Clinical Terms for Acute poliomyelitis (A80)
Poliomyelitis-. An acute infectious disease of humans, particularly children, caused by any of three serotypes of human poliovirus (POLIOVIRUS). Usually the infection is limited to the gastrointestinal tract and nasopharynx, and is often asymptomatic. The central nervous system, primarily the spinal cord, may be affected, leading to rapidly progressive paralysis, coarse FASCICULATION and hyporeflexia. Motor neurons are primarily affected. Encephalitis may also occur. The virus replicates in the nervous system, and may cause significant neuronal loss, most notably in the spinal cord. A rare related condition, nonpoliovirus poliomyelitis, may result from infections with nonpoliovirus enteroviruses.
Poliovirus-. A species of ENTEROVIRUS which is the causal agent of POLIOMYELITIS in humans. Three serotypes (strains) exist. Transmission is by the fecal-oral route, pharyngeal secretions, or mechanical vector (flies). Vaccines with both inactivated and live attenuated virus have proven effective in immunizing against the infection.
Poliovirus Vaccines-. Vaccines used to prevent POLIOMYELITIS. They include inactivated (POLIOVIRUS VACCINE, INACTIVATED) and oral vaccines (POLIOVIRUS VACCINE, ORAL).
Poliovirus Vaccine, Oral-. A live vaccine containing attenuated poliovirus, types I, II, and III, grown in monkey kidney cell tissue culture, used for routine immunization of children against polio. This vaccine induces long-lasting intestinal and humoral immunity. Killed vaccine induces only humoral immunity. Oral poliovirus vaccine should not be administered to immunocompromised individuals or their household contacts.
Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00–B99)
Viral and prion infections of the central nervous system (A80-A89)
- A80 - Acute poliomyelitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- A80.0 - Acute paralytic poliomyelitis, vaccine-associated BILLABLE CODE
- A80.1 - Acute paralytic poliomyelitis, wild virus, imported BILLABLE CODE
- A80.2 - Acute paralytic poliomyelitis, wild virus, indigenous BILLABLE CODE
- A80.3 - Acute paralytic poliomyelitis, other and unspecified NON-BILLABLE CODE
- A80.30 - Acute paralytic poliomyelitis, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
- A80.39 - Other acute paralytic poliomyelitis BILLABLE CODE
- A80.4 - Acute nonparalytic poliomyelitis BILLABLE CODE
- A80.9 - Acute poliomyelitis, unspecified BILLABLE CODE
Acute poliomyelitis (A80)