- influenza, if present, such as:
- influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with other respiratory manifestations J09.X2
- influenza due to other identified influenza virus with other respiratory manifestations J10.1
- influenza due to unidentified influenza virus with other respiratory manifestations J11.1
Use Additional Code Use Additional Code
The “use additional code” indicates that a secondary code could be used to further specify the patient’s condition. This note is not mandatory and is only used if enough information is available to assign an additional code.
Type 1 Excludes Type 1 Excludes
A type 1 excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- acute obstructive laryngitis [croup] and epiglottitis J05
Type 2 Excludes Type 2 Excludes
A type 2 excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- laryngismus stridulus J38.5
Diseases of the respiratory system (J00–J99)
Acute upper respiratory infections (J00-J06)
- J04 - Acute laryngitis and tracheitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- J04.0 - Acute laryngitis BILLABLE CODE
- J04.1 - Acute tracheitis NON-BILLABLE CODE
- J04.10 - Acute tracheitis without obstruction BILLABLE CODE
- J04.11 - Acute tracheitis with obstruction BILLABLE CODE
- J04.2 - Acute laryngotracheitis BILLABLE CODE
- J04.3 - Supraglottitis, unspecified NON-BILLABLE CODE
- J04.30 - Supraglottitis, unspecified, without obstruction BILLABLE CODE
- J04.31 - Supraglottitis, unspecified, with obstruction BILLABLE CODE
Acute laryngitis and tracheitis (J04)