Diagnosis Code H70.009
Information for Medical Professionals
The diagnosis code H70.009 is grouped in the following Diagnostic Related Group(s) (MS-DRG V35.0)
Convert to ICD-9 General Equivalence Map
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 383.00 - Ac mastoiditis w/o compl (approximate) Approximate Flag
The approximate flag is on, indicating that the relationship between the code in the source system and the code in the target system is an approximate equivalent.
- Abscess of mastoid
- Abscess of temporal bone
- Acute mastoiditis
- Acute mastoiditis without complications
- Acute suppurative mastoiditis
- Empyema of mastoid
Information for Patients
Also called: Otitis media
Ear infections are the most common reason parents bring their child to a doctor. Three out of four children will have at least one ear infection by their third birthday. Adults can also get ear infections, but they are less common.
The infection usually affects the middle ear and is called otitis media. The tubes inside the ears become clogged with fluid and mucus. This can affect hearing, because sound cannot get through all that fluid.
If your child isn't old enough to say "My ear hurts," here are a few things to look for
- Tugging at ears
- Crying more than usual
- Fluid draining from the ear
- Trouble sleeping
- Balance difficulties
- Hearing problems
Your health care provider will diagnose an ear infection by looking inside the ear with an instrument called an otoscope.
Often, ear infections go away on their own. Your health care provider may recommend pain relievers. Severe infections and infections in young babies may require antibiotics.
Children who get infections often may need surgery to place small tubes inside their ears. The tubes relieve pressure in the ears so that the child can hear again.
NIH: National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Cholesteatoma (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ear discharge (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ear examination (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ear infection - acute (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ear infection - chronic (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Ear tube insertion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Earache (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Otitis media with effusion (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Swimmer's ear (Medical Encyclopedia)