Diagnosis Code F80.4
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 315.34 - Speech del d/t hear loss
- Speech and language developmental delay due to hearing loss
Index of Diseases and Injuries
References found for the code F80.4 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Code Also: "Code also note"
A "code also" note instructs that two codes may be required to fully describe a condition, but this note does not provide sequencing direction.
- type of hearing loss (H90.-, H91.-)
Information for Patients
Speech and Communication Disorders
Also called: Communication disorders
Many disorders can affect our ability to speak and communicate. They range from saying sounds incorrectly to being completely unable to speak or understand speech. Causes include
- Hearing disorders and deafness
- Voice problems, such as dysphonia or those caused by cleft lip or palate
- Speech problems like stuttering
- Developmental disabilities
- Learning disorders
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Brain injury
Some speech and communication problems may be genetic. Often, no one knows the causes. By first grade, about 5 percent of children have noticeable speech disorders. Speech and language therapy can help.
NIH: National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
- Apraxia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Dysarthria (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Phonological disorder (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Selective mutism (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Speech impairment (adult) (Medical Encyclopedia)