Diagnosis Code F50
Information for Medical Professionals
References found for the code F50 in the Index of Diseases and Injuries:
- Type 1 Excludes Notes: Type 1 Excludes Notes
A type 1 Excludes note is a pure excludes note. It means "NOT CODED HERE!" An Excludes1 note indicates that the code excluded should never be used at the same time as the code above the Excludes1 note. An Excludes1 is used when two conditions cannot occur together, such as a congenital form versus an acquired form of the same condition.
- anorexia NOS (R63.0)
- feeding difficulties (R63.3)
- feeding problems of newborn (P92.-)
- polyphagia (R63.2)
- Type 2 Excludes Notes: Type 2 Excludes Notes
A type 2 Excludes note represents "Not included here". An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate.
- feeding disorder in infancy or childhood (F98.2-)
Information for Patients
Also called: Anorexia nervosa, Binge eating, Bulimia
Eating disorders are serious behavior problems. They can include severe overeating or not consuming enough food to stay healthy. They also involve extreme concern about your shape or weight.
Types of eating disorders include
- Anorexia nervosa, in which you become too thin, but you don't eat enough because you think you are fat
- Bulimia nervosa, which involves periods of overeating followed by purging, sometimes through self-induced vomiting or using laxatives
- Binge-eating, which is out-of-control eating
Women are more likely than men to have eating disorders. They usually start in the teenage years and often occur along with depression, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse.
Eating disorders can lead to heart and kidney problems and even death. Getting help early is important. Treatment involves monitoring, talk therapy, nutritional counseling, and sometimes medicines.
NIH: National Institute of Mental Health
- Anorexia nervosa (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Binge eating disorder (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Break the Bonds of Emotional Eating (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Bulimia (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Pica (Medical Encyclopedia)