Diagnosis Code B94.1
Information for Medical Professionals
The ICD-10 and ICD-9 GEMs are used to facilitate linking between the diagnosis codes in ICD-9-CM and the new ICD-10-CM code set. The GEMs are the raw material from which providers, health information vendors and payers can derive specific applied mappings to meet their needs.
- 139.0 - Late eff viral encephal
Present on Admission (POA) Present on Admission
The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement.
The code B94.1 is exempt from POA reporting.
- Late effects of viral encephalitis
- Sequelae of infectious and parasitic diseases
- Sequelae of inflammatory diseases of the central nervous system
Information for Patients
Encephalitis is an inflammation of the brain. Usually the cause is a viral infection, but bacteria can also cause it. It can be mild or severe. Most cases are mild. You may have flu-like symptoms. With a mild case, you may just need rest, plenty of fluids, and a pain reliever.
Severe cases need immediate treatment. Symptoms of severe cases include
- Severe headache
- Sudden fever
In babies, additional symptoms may include constant crying, poor feeding, body stiffness, and bulging in the soft spots of the skull.
Severe cases may require a stay in the hospital. Treatments include oral and intravenous (IV) medicines to reduce inflammation and treat infection. Patients with breathing difficulties may need artificial respiration. Some people may need physical, speech, and occupational therapy once the illness is under control.
NIH: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- Cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) collection (Medical Encyclopedia)
- CSF analysis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Encephalitis (Medical Encyclopedia)
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine: What You Need to Know (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (Medical Encyclopedia)