Z79.810 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of long term (current) use of selective estrogen receptor modulators (serms). The code Z79.810 is valid during the fiscal year 2022 from October 01, 2021 through September 30, 2022 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code Z79.810 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like long-term current use of selective estrogen receptor modulator or long-term current use of tamoxifen. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
The code Z79.810 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with coding notes and guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z79.810:
Inclusion TermsInclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Long term (current) use of raloxifene (Evista)
- Long term (current) use of tamoxifen (Nolvadex)
- Long term (current) use of toremifene (Fareston)
Entries in the Index to Diseases and Injuries with references to Z79.810
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z79.810 are found in the index:
- - Long-term (current) (prophylactic) drug therapy (use of)
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Long-term current use of selective estrogen receptor modulator
- Long-term current use of tamoxifen
- LONG TERM ADVERSE EFFECTS-. persistent detrimental effects from treatment for a condition. included are effects from surgery such as postoperative complications and from drug therapy such as chemically induced disorders or other therapeutics. failure to attain a desired outcome from treatment for the condition is not considered an adverse effect.
- CANCER SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced prolonged survival with or following malignant neoplastic disease.
- INSURANCE LONG TERM CARE-. health insurance to provide full or partial coverage for long term home care services or for long term nursing care provided in a residential facility such as a nursing home.
- LONG TERM CARE-. care over an extended period usually for a chronic condition or disability requiring periodic intermittent or continuous care.
- TIME-. the dimension of the physical universe which at a given place orders the sequence of events. mcgraw hill dictionary of scientific and technical terms 6th ed
- HIV LONG TERMINAL REPEAT-. regulatory sequences important for viral replication that are located on each end of the hiv genome. the ltr includes the hiv enhancer promoter and other sequences. specific regions in the ltr include the negative regulatory element nre nf kappa b binding sites sp1 binding sites tata box and trans acting responsive element tar. the binding of both cellular and viral proteins to these regions regulates hiv transcription.
- SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced a prolonged survival after serious disease or who continue to live with a usually life threatening condition as well as family members significant others or individuals surviving traumatic life events.
- LONG TERM POTENTIATION-. a persistent increase in synaptic efficacy usually induced by appropriate activation of the same synapses. the phenomenological properties of long term potentiation suggest that it may be a cellular mechanism of learning and memory.
- TERMINAL REPEAT SEQUENCES-. nucleotide sequences repeated on both the 5' and 3' ends of a sequence under consideration. for example the hallmarks of a transposon are that it is flanked by inverted repeats on each end and the inverted repeats are flanked by direct repeats. the delta element of ty retrotransposons and ltrs long terminal repeats are examples of this concept.
- HIV LONG TERM SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced prolonged survival of hiv infection. this includes the full spectrum of untreated hiv infected long term asymptomatics to those with aids who have survived due to successful treatment.
- LONG TERM SYNAPTIC DEPRESSION-. a persistent activity dependent decrease in synaptic efficacy between neurons. it typically occurs following repeated low frequency afferent stimulation but it can be induced by other methods. long term depression appears to play a role in memory.
- MEMORY LONG TERM-. remembrance of information from 3 or more years previously.
Present on Admission (POA)
Convert Z79.810 to ICD-9 Code
Information for Patients
Hormones are your body's chemical messengers. They travel in your bloodstream to tissues or organs. They work slowly, over time, and affect many different processes, including
- Growth and development
- Metabolism - how your body gets energy from the foods you eat
- Sexual function
Endocrine glands, which are special groups of cells, make hormones. The major endocrine glands are the pituitary, pineal, thymus, thyroid, adrenal glands, and pancreas. In addition, men produce hormones in their testes and women produce them in their ovaries.
Hormones are powerful. It takes only a tiny amount to cause big changes in cells or even your whole body. That is why too much or too little of a certain hormone can be serious. Laboratory tests can measure the hormone levels in your blood, urine, or saliva. Your health care provider may perform these tests if you have symptoms of a hormone disorder. Home pregnancy tests are similar - they test for pregnancy hormones in your urine.
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
Hormone Therapy for Breast Cancer Learn about the types of hormone therapy used to prevent and treat breast cancer (including antiestrogens, LH-RH agonists, aromatase inhibitors, and SERMs) and their possible side effects.
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
|ICD Code||Description||Valid for Submission|
|Z79||Long term (current) drug therapy||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.0||Long term (current) use of anticoagulants and antithrombotics/antiplatelets||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.01||Long term (current) use of anticoagulants||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.02||Long term (current) use of antithrombotics/antiplatelets||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.1||Long term (current) use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAID)||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.2||Long term (current) use of antibiotics||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.3||Long term (current) use of hormonal contraceptives||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.4||Long term (current) use of insulin||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.5||Long term (current) use of steroids||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.51||Long term (current) use of inhaled steroids||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.52||Long term (current) use of systemic steroids||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.8||Other long term (current) drug therapy||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.81||Long term (current) use of agents affecting estrogen receptors and estrogen levels||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.811||Long term (current) use of aromatase inhibitors||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.818||Long term (current) use of other agents affecting estrogen receptors and estrogen levels||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.82||Long term (current) use of aspirin||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.83||Long term (current) use of bisphosphonates||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.84||Long term (current) use of oral hypoglycemic drugs||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.89||Other long term (current) drug therapy||NON-BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.890||Hormone replacement therapy||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.891||Long term (current) use of opiate analgesic||BILLABLE CODE|
|Z79.899||Other long term (current) drug therapy||BILLABLE CODE|