Valid for Submission
Z79.810 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of long term (current) use of selective estrogen receptor modulators (serms). The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z79.810 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like long-term current use of selective estrogen receptor modulator or long-term current use of tamoxifen. The code is exempt from present on admission (POA) reporting for inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals.
The code Z79.810 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Lng trm (crnt) use of slctv estrog receptor modulators|
|Long Description:||Long term (current) use of selective estrogen receptor modulators (SERMs)|
Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries
The Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries is a list of ICD-10 codes, organized "head to toe" into chapters and sections with guidance for inclusions, exclusions, descriptions and more. The following references are applicable to the code Z79.810:
Inclusion Terms Inclusion Terms
These terms are the conditions for which that code is to be used. The terms may be synonyms of the code title, or, in the case of "other specified" codes, the terms are a list of the various conditions assigned to that code. The inclusion terms are not necessarily exhaustive. Additional terms found only in the Alphabetic Index may also be assigned to a code.
- Long term (current) use of raloxifene (Evista)
- Long term (current) use of tamoxifen (Nolvadex)
- Long term (current) use of toremifene (Fareston)
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z79.810 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Long-term current use of selective estrogen receptor modulator
- Long-term current use of tamoxifen
- LONG TERM ADVERSE EFFECTS-. persistent detrimental effects from treatment for a condition. included are effects from surgery such as postoperative complications and from drug therapy such as chemically induced disorders or other therapeutics. failure to attain a desired outcome from treatment for the condition is not considered an adverse effect.
- CANCER SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced prolonged survival with or following neoplastic disease.
- INSURANCE LONG TERM CARE-. health insurance to provide full or partial coverage for long term home care services or for long term nursing care provided in a residential facility such as a nursing home.
- LONG TERM CARE-. care over an extended period usually for a chronic condition or disability requiring periodic intermittent or continuous care.
- TIME-. the dimension of the physical universe which at a given place orders the sequence of events. mcgraw hill dictionary of scientific and technical terms 6th ed
- HIV LONG TERMINAL REPEAT-. regulatory sequences important for viral replication that are located on each end of the hiv genome. the ltr includes the hiv enhancer promoter and other sequences. specific regions in the ltr include the negative regulatory element nre nf kappa b binding sites sp1 binding sites tata box and trans acting responsive element tar. the binding of both cellular and viral proteins to these regions regulates hiv transcription.
- SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced a prolonged survival after serious disease or who continue to live with a usually life threatening condition as well as family members significant others or individuals surviving traumatic life events.
- LONG TERM POTENTIATION-. a persistent increase in synaptic efficacy usually induced by appropriate activation of the same synapses. the phenomenological properties of long term potentiation suggest that it may be a cellular mechanism of learning and memory.
- TERMINAL REPEAT SEQUENCES-. nucleotide sequences repeated on both the 5' and 3' ends of a sequence under consideration. for example the hallmarks of a transposon are that it is flanked by inverted repeats on each end and the inverted repeats are flanked by direct repeats. the delta element of ty retrotransposons and ltrs long terminal repeats are examples of this concept.
- HIV LONG TERM SURVIVORS-. persons who have experienced prolonged survival of hiv infection. this includes the full spectrum of untreated hiv infected long term asymptomatics to those with aids who have survived due to successful treatment.
- LONG TERM SYNAPTIC DEPRESSION-. a persistent activity dependent decrease in synaptic efficacy between neurons. it typically occurs following repeated low frequency afferent stimulation but it can be induced by other methods. long term depression appears to play a role in memory.
- MEMORY LONG TERM-. remembrance of information from 3 or more years previously.
Present on Admission (POA)
Z79.810 is exempt from POA reporting - The Present on Admission (POA) indicator is used for diagnosis codes included in claims involving inpatient admissions to general acute care hospitals. POA indicators must be reported to CMS on each claim to facilitate the grouping of diagnoses codes into the proper Diagnostic Related Groups (DRG). CMS publishes a listing of specific diagnosis codes that are exempt from the POA reporting requirement. Review other POA exempt codes here .
CMS POA Indicator Options and Definitions
|POA Indicator Code||POA Reason for Code||CMS will pay the CC/MCC DRG?|
|Y||Diagnosis was present at time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|N||Diagnosis was not present at time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|U||Documentation insufficient to determine if the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||NO|
|W||Clinically undetermined - unable to clinically determine whether the condition was present at the time of inpatient admission.||YES|
|1||Unreported/Not used - Exempt from POA reporting. ||NO|
Convert Z79.810 to ICD-9
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Persons with potential health hazards related to family and personal history and certain conditions influencing health status (Z77-Z99)
Long term drug therapy (Z79) (current)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020