Valid for Submission
Z53.21 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of procedure and treatment not carried out due to patient leaving prior to being seen by health care provider. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z53.21 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like left without being seen or patient walked out.
The code Z53.21 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Proc/trtmt not crd out d/t pt lv bef seen by hlth care prov|
|Long Description:||Procedure and treatment not carried out due to patient leaving prior to being seen by health care provider|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z53.21 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Left without being seen
- Patient walked out
Convert Z53.21 to ICD-9
- V64.06 - No vaccination-pt refuse (Approximate Flag)
- V64.2 - No proc/patient decision (Approximate Flag)
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Encounters for other specific health care (Z40-Z53)
Persons encntr hlth serv for spec proc & trtmt, not crd out (Z53)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020