Valid for Submission
Z20.3 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of contact with and (suspected) exposure to rabies. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code Z20.3 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like animal bite by potentially rabid animal or animal bite to human by potentially rabid animal or exposure to rabies virus.
The code Z20.3 describes a circumstance which influences the patient's health status but not a current illness or injury. The code is unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
|Short Description:||Contact with and (suspected) exposure to rabies|
|Long Description:||Contact with and (suspected) exposure to rabies|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code Z20.3 are found in the index:
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Unacceptable principal diagnosis - There are selected codes that describe a circumstance which influences an individual’s health status but not a current illness or injury, or codes that are not specific manifestations but may be due to an underlying cause. These codes are considered unacceptable as a principal diagnosis.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Animal bite by potentially rabid animal
- Animal bite to human by potentially rabid animal
- Exposure to Rabies virus
Convert Z20.3 to ICD-9
Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00–Z99)
Persons with potential health hazards related to communicable diseases (Z20-Z29)
Contact w and exposure to communicable diseases (Z20) (suspected)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020