Valid for Submission
T76.21XA is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of adult sexual abuse, suspected, initial encounter. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code T76.21XA might also be used to specify conditions or terms like homicide and assault by fight, brawl and rape or homicide or assault by rape or suspected victim of sexual abuse or suspected victim of sexual grooming.
The code T76.21XA is applicable to adult patients aged 15 through 124 years inclusive. It is clinically and virtually impossible to use this code on a patient outside the stated age range.
|Short Description:||Adult sexual abuse, suspected, initial encounter|
|Long Description:||Adult sexual abuse, suspected, initial encounter|
This code was replaced in the 2020 ICD-10 code set with the code(s) listed below. The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2019. This code was replaced for the FY 2020 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020).
- T76.51XA - Adult forced sexual exploitation, suspected, init
The Medicare Code Editor (MCE) detects and reports errors in the coding of claims data. The following ICD-10 Code Edits are applicable to this code:
- Adult diagnoses - Adult. Age range is 15–124 years inclusive (e.g., senile delirium, mature cataract).
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Homicide and assault by fight, brawl and rape
- Homicide or assault by rape
- Suspected victim of sexual abuse
- Suspected victim of sexual grooming
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code T76.21XA is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 922 - OTHER INJURY, POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECT DIAGNOSES WITH MCC
- 923 - OTHER INJURY, POISONING AND TOXIC EFFECT DIAGNOSES WITHOUT MCC
Convert T76.21XA to ICD-9
- 995.83 - Adult sexual abuse (Approximate Flag)
Injury, poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00–T98)
Other and unspecified effects of external causes (T66-T78)
Adult and child abuse, neglect and oth maltreat, suspected (T76)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020