S56.109A is a billable ICD-10 code used to specify a medical diagnosis of unspecified injury of flexor muscle, fascia and tendon of unspecified finger at forearm level, initial encounter. The code is valid during the fiscal year 2023 from October 01, 2022 through September 30, 2023 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
S56.109A is an initial encounter code, includes a 7th character and should be used while the patient is receiving active treatment for a condition like unspecified injury of flexor muscle fascia and tendon of unspecified finger at forearm level. According to ICD-10-CM Guidelines an "initial encounter" doesn't necessarily means "initial visit". The 7th character should be used when the patient is undergoing active treatment regardless if new or different providers saw the patient over the course of a treatment. The appropriate 7th character codes should also be used even if the patient delayed seeking treatment for a condition.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like S56.109A are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Injury of fascia of flexor muscle of finger at forearm level
- Injury of fascia of forearm
- Injury of flexor muscle of finger at forearm level
- Injury of flexor tendon of finger at forearm level
- Partial division flexor tendon hand
- Partial division, flexor digitorum superficialis tendon
The appropriate 7th character is to be added to each code from block Injury of muscle, fascia and tendon at forearm level (S56). Use the following options for the aplicable episode of care:
- A - initial encounter
- D - subsequent encounter
- S - sequela
Convert to ICD-9 Code
|Source ICD-10 Code||Target ICD-9 Code|
|S56.109A||959.3 - Elb/forearm/wrst inj NOS|
|Approximate Flag - The approximate mapping means there is not an exact match between the ICD-10 and ICD-9 codes and the mapped code is not a precise representation of the original code.|
Arm Injuries and Disorders
Of the 206 bones in your body, three of them are in your arm: the humerus, radius, and ulna. Your arms are also made up of muscles, joints, tendons, and other connective tissue. Injuries to any of these parts of the arm can occur during sports, a fall, or an accident.
Types of arm injuries include :
- Tendinitis and bursitis
- Fractures (broken bones)
- Nerve problems
You may also have problems or injure specific parts of your arm, such as your hand, wrist, elbow, or shoulder.
[Learn More in MedlinePlus]
- FY 2023 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2022 through 9/30/2023
- FY 2022 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2021 through 9/30/2022
- FY 2021 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2020 through 9/30/2021
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016 (First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)