Not Valid for Submission
S02.849 is a "header" nonspecific and non-billable diagnosis code code, consider using a code with a higher level of specificity for a diagnosis of fracture of lateral orbital wall, unspecified side. The code is NOT valid for the year 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. Category or Header define the heading of a category of codes that may be further subdivided by the use of 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th characters.
Unspecified diagnosis codes like S02.849 are acceptable when clinical information is unknown or not available about a particular condition. Although a more specific code is preferable, unspecified codes should be used when such codes most accurately reflect what is known about a patient's condition. Specific diagnosis codes should not be used if not supported by the patient's medical record.
Specific Coding for Fracture of lateral orbital wall, unspecified side
Header codes like S02.849 require more digits to indicate the appropriate level of specificity. Consider using any of the following ICD-10 codes with a higher level of specificity when coding for fracture of lateral orbital wall, unspecified side:
- S02.849A - ... initial encounter for closed fracture
- S02.849B - ... initial encounter for open fracture
- S02.849D - ... subsequent encounter for fracture with routine healing
- S02.849G - ... subsequent encounter for fracture with delayed healing
- S02.849K - ... subsequent encounter for fracture with nonunion
- S02.849S - ... sequela