Valid for Submission
R97.8 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of other abnormal tumor markers. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R97.8 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like cancer antigen 19-9 above reference range or endometrial cancer genetic marker of susceptibility positive or increased cancer antigen 125 or ovarian cancer genetic marker of susceptibility positive or prostate specific antigen abnormal.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Other abnormal tumor markers|
|Long Description:||Other abnormal tumor markers|
This code was replaced in the 2020 ICD-10 code set with the code(s) listed below. The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) has published an update to the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes which became effective October 1, 2019. This code was replaced for the FY 2020 (October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2020).
- Z19.1 - Hormone sensitive malignancy status
- Z19.2 - Hormone resistant malignancy status
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R97.8 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Cancer antigen 19-9 above reference range
- Endometrial cancer genetic marker of susceptibility positive
- Increased cancer antigen 125
- Ovarian cancer genetic marker of susceptibility positive
- Prostate specific antigen abnormal
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R97.8 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 947 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITH MCC
- 948 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITHOUT MCC
Convert R97.8 to ICD-9
- 795.89 - Abnorml tumor marker NEC
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Abnormal tumor markers (R97)
Abnormal tumor markers (R97)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020