Valid for Submission
R89.3 is a billable code used to specify a medical diagnosis of abnormal level of substances chiefly nonmedicinal as to source in specimens from other organs, systems and tissues. The code is valid for the year 2020 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions. The ICD-10-CM code R89.3 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like heavy metal in tissue specimen above reference range.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
|Short Description:||Abn lev substnc nonmed source in specmn from oth org/tiss|
|Long Description:||Abnormal level of substances chiefly nonmedicinal as to source in specimens from other organs, systems and tissues|
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R89.3 are found in the index:
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Heavy metal in tissue specimen above reference range
Diagnostic Related Groups
The ICD-10 code R89.3 is grouped in the following groups for version MS-DRG V37.0 What are Diagnostic Related Groups?
The Diagnostic Related Groups (DRGs) are a patient classification scheme which provides a means of relating the type of patients a hospital treats. The DRGs divides all possible principal diagnoses into mutually exclusive principal diagnosis areas referred to as Major Diagnostic Categories (MDC). applicable from 10/01/2019 through 09/30/2020.
- 947 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITH MCC
- 948 - SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS WITHOUT MCC
Convert R89.3 to ICD-9
- 792.9 - Abn find-body subst NEC (Approximate Flag)
- 796.0 - Abn toxicologic finding (Approximate Flag)
Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings, not elsewhere classified (R00–R99)
Abnormal findings on examination of other body fluids, substances and tissues, without diagnosis (R83-R89)
Abnormal findings in specimens from oth org/tiss (R89)
- FY 2016 - New Code, effective from 10/1/2015 through 9/30/2016
(First year ICD-10-CM implemented into the HIPAA code set)
- FY 2017 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2016 through 9/30/2017
- FY 2018 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2017 through 9/30/2018
- FY 2019 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2018 through 9/30/2019
- FY 2020 - No Change, effective from 10/1/2019 through 9/30/2020