Valid for Submission
R45.86 is a billable diagnosis code used to specify a medical diagnosis of emotional lability. The code R45.86 is valid during the fiscal year 2021 from October 01, 2020 through September 30, 2021 for the submission of HIPAA-covered transactions.
The ICD-10-CM code R45.86 might also be used to specify conditions or terms like abnormal affect, becomes angry very easily, cyclic mood swings, depression worse in morning, depression worse later in day , difficulty controlling anger, etc.
According to ICD-10-CM guidelines this code should not to be used as a principal diagnosis code when a related definitive diagnosis has been established.
Index to Diseases and Injuries
The Index to Diseases and Injuries is an alphabetical listing of medical terms, with each term mapped to one or more ICD-10 code(s). The following references for the code R45.86 are found in the index:
- - Emotional lability - R45.86
The following clinical terms are approximate synonyms or lay terms that might be used to identify the correct diagnosis code:
- Abnormal affect
- Becomes angry very easily
- Cyclic mood swings
- Depression worse in morning
- Depression worse later in day
- Difficulty controlling anger
- Difficulty controlling emotions
- Diurnal variation of mood
- Easily upset
- Finding related to ability to control anger
- Finding related to ability to control emotions
- Labile affect
- Labile personality trait
- Mood swings
- Unpredictable in mood
- Volatile Mood